Ir Professor Peter Chiu
BSc(London), BSc(Eng), MPhil, PhD(HKU), FHKIE, FHKCS, FBS
- Academic and Professional Accreditation (學術和專業認證)·
- Expert Witness (專家證人)
- Aviation, Railway Signals, Information Engineering (航空、鐵路信號、資訊工程)
- Protocol, Diplomacy and Etiquette (禮賓、外交和禮儀)
- Food Science and Technology (食品科技)
Ir Professor Chiu is an experienced academic and engineer with a wide range of interests. He has extensive experience of academic and professional programme development in all levels in Hong Kong Qualification Framework except levels one and two. He is also reviewer of several international Engineering Agreements including the Sydney Accord, the International Professional Engineers Agreement (IPEA) and International Engineering Technologists Agreement/(IETA). He was a Subject Specialists in two very distinct areas (in engineering and in hospitality). He was a "VTC Expert” from 2006 to 2019 upon his retirement and has done more than 100 media interviews and coverages, including 「自由風，自由 Phone」、「時事大破解」and「千禧年代」, a number of them were on air as live programme. He is also regular contributors in Wine & Spirits as well as “Gourmet & Lifestyle” Magazines.
Besides in Engineering and Academic field, Professor Chiu is also a food and wine lover. He has joined various international cooking classes around the world including restaurants and schools in Italy, France, Japan, Mainland, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. He is a Vice Chargé de Missions, Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, an Adjunct Professor of the Berjaya University College and was named in the Who’s Who in International Wine and Spirits (國際酒界名人榜). He was invited to join the Hong Jong General Chamber of Wine and Spirits as an “Expert Advisor” upon its formation. Furthermore, Professor Chiu is also interested in two very special areas. One is the Protocol, Diplomacy and Etiquette. The other is the research in the Academic Gown.
He got Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees from The University of Hong Kong and a degree in Mathematics from the University of London as a self-study external student. He also studied National Affairs at the Tsinghua University in Beijing and culinary arts at Le Cordon Bleu in France. He became the first person in Hong Kong awarded the University Diploma in Taste, Gastronomy and the Arts of the table from the Advanced School of Taste, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne in France with the thesis of "Manhan Quanxi in Hong Kong(滿漢全席在香港)”. He is also the only Certified International Protocol and Diplomacy Consultant in Hong Kong.
His expertise and interests are extremely wide, including molecular gastronomy, food culture, food safety and technology, aviation, railway engineering, lifestyle technology and products, computer engineering, music, Fung Shui, and Sinology and heritage and cultural study.
- Honorary member of the City and Guilds of London Institute, in recognition of significant involvement in, and contribution to, the furtherance of the work of the Institute in technical and vocational education and training.
- S.Y. King Fellowship, University of Hong Kong.
- CICHE (Council for International Cooperation in Higher Education) Visitorship
- Who’s Who in International Wine and Spirits (國際酒界名人榜)
- Certified International Protocol and Diplomacy Consultant, International Etiquette and Protocol Academy of London, U.K. (註冊國際禮賓和外交顧問)
- Diplôme Universitaire du Goût, de la Gastronomie et des Arts de la Table (DUGGART), Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne. [The first one from Hong Kong that completed this programme.]
- Ph.D., M.Phil., B.Sc.(Eng.), The University of Hong Kong
- B.Sc., University of London
- Fellow (F.H.K.C.S.), Hong Kong Computer Society·
- Fellow (F.H.K.I.E), Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Vice Chargé de Missions, Chaîne des Rôtisseurs (法國國際美食會副理事)·
- Hononary President, Escoffier Society International (廚皇會榮譽會長)
- Officier et Maître-Sabreur, Confrérie du Sabre d'Or
- Officier, Ordre des Coteaux de Champagne
- Commandeur de Bordeaux
- Judge Member, Hong Kong Wine Judge Association (香港葡萄酒評審協會評審會員)
- Fellow(F.B.S.), Burgon Society [There are only 40 FBS in the world].
Contribution to Society
- Reviewer of Sydney Accord, the International Professional Engineers Agreement (IPEA) and International Engineering Technologists Agreement(IETA)
- Setting up of the Information Discipline of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- HKIE accreditations as Visiting Team Chairman, Member
- Member of the Accreditation Committee for the Higher Diploma Programmes, HKIE
- Committee Members of IT Division, Electronics Division, Biomedical Division. Chairman of Group 3 Training Subcommittee, HKIE.·
- Vice President (Professional Development), Hong Kong Aviation Industry Association
- Adjunct Professor, Berjaya University College
- Expert Advisor, Hong Jong General Chamber of Wine and Spirits (香港酒業總商會專家會員)·
- Contribution to media as a VTC Expert (with more than 100 interviews coverage)
- Visiting verifier, City and Guilds of London Institute
- Aviation Vocational and Professional Education and Training in Hong Kong”, Journal of Hong Kong Aviation Industry Association, 2018
- “The Development of the HKIE Website – The Philosophy and Lessons Learnt”, Asia Engineer, January, 2000, pp. 29-30.
- 從外交和政府角度看鑽石公主號郵輪事件, Master Insights.com
- 陀飛輪手錶 藝術與技術的結晶, Gourmet & Lifestyle, Hong Kong
- 一生難忘的課程@法國「漢斯香檳阿丹尼大學品味高級學院」, Wine & Spirits, Hong Kong
- Academic Dress in China from 1994 to 2011, Dissertation for the Fellowship of Burgon Society
- Manhan Quanxi in Hong Kong (滿漢全席在香港), Mémoire de fin ď Étude, Diplôme Universitaire du Goût, de la Gastronomie et des Arts de la Table, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne
- “Story and research about Kopi Luwak (麝香貓咖啡) – The World’s Most Expensive Coffee”, Hong Kong Food Science and Technology Association Anniversary Commensurate Publication
- “Three Countries, Two Tartans, One Couple”, Table Talk, Bailliage de Grande Bretagne, Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, Winter, 2018
- “Noodle Poetry”, Table Talk, Bailliage de Grande Bretagne, Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, Summer, 2016.
- "Simulation of Logic Circuits in a Network of Transputers", Proceedings, World Transputer Congress, Lake Como, Italy, Sept., 1994, pp. 273-284
- "Microcomputer System Specification Using Interval Logic and a Modified Labelled net Model", IEE Proceedings, Vol. 133, Pt. E, No. 4, pp. 223234, July 1986